PH8252 Syllabus PHYSICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE Regulation 2017 Anna University
PH8252 Syllabus OBJECTIVES:
To understand the essential principles of Physics of semiconductor device and Electron transport properties. Become proficient in magnetic and optical properties of materials and Nano-electronic devices.
PH8252 Syllabus UNIT I ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
Classical free electron theory – Expression for electrical conductivity – Thermal conductivity, expression – Wiedemann-Franz law – Success and failures – electrons in metals – Particle in a three dimensional box – degenerate states – Fermi- Dirac statistics – Density of energy states – Electron in periodic potential – Energy bands in solids – tight binding approximation – Electron effective mass – concept of hole.
PH8252 Syllabus UNIT II SEMICONDUCTOR PHYSICS
Intrinsic Semiconductors – Energy band diagram – direct and indirect band gap semiconductors – Carrier concentration in intrinsic semiconductors – extrinsic semiconductors – Carrier concentration in N-type & P-type semiconductors – Variation of carrier concentration with temperature – variation of Fermi level with temperature and impurity concentration – Carrier transport in Semiconductor: random motion, drift, mobility and diffusion – Hall effect and devices – Ohmic contacts – Schottky diode.
PH8252 Syllabus UNIT III MAGNETIC PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
Magnetic dipole moment – atomic magnetic moments- magnetic permeability and susceptibility – Magnetic material classification: diamagnetism – paramagnetism – ferromagnetism – antiferromagnetism – ferrimagnetism – Ferromagnetism: origin and exchange interaction- saturation magnetization and Curie temperature – Domain Theory- M versus H behaviour – Hard and soft magnetic materials – examples and uses-– Magnetic principle in computer data storage – Magnetic hard disc (GMR sensor).
PH8252 Syllabus UNIT IV OPTICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS
Classification of optical materials – carrier generation and recombination processes – Absorption emission and scattering of light in metals, insulators and semiconductors (concepts only) – photo current in a P-N diode – solar cell – LED – Organic LED – Laser diodes – Optical data storage techniques.
PH8252 Syllabus UNIT V NANO DEVICES
Electron density in bulk material – Size dependence of Fermi energy – Quantum confinement – Quantum structures – Density of states in quantum well, quantum wire and quantum dot structure – Band gap of nanomaterials – Tunneling: single electron phenomena and single electron transistor – Quantum dot laser. Conductivity of metallic nanowires – Ballistic transport – Quantum resistance and conductance – Carbon nanotubes: Properties and applications.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
PH8252 Syllabus OUTCOMES:
At the end of the course, the students will able to
- Gain knowledge on classical and quantum electron theories, and energy band structues,
- Acquire knowledge on basics of semiconductor physics and its applications in various devices,
- Get knowledge on magnetic properties of materials and their applications in data storage,
- Have the necessary understanding on the functioning of optical materials for opto electronics,
- Understand the basics of quantum structures and their applications in carbon electronics.
PH8252 Syllabus TEXT BOOKS:
1. Jasprit Singh, ―Semiconductor Devices: Basic Principles‖, Wiley 2012.
2. Kasap, S.O. ―Principles of Electronic Materials and Devices‖, McGraw-Hill Education, 2007.
3. Kittel, C. ―Introduction to Solid State Physics‖. Wiley, 2005.
PH8252 Syllabus REFERENCES:
1. Garcia, N. & Damask, A. ―Physics for Computer Science Students‖. Springer-Verlag, 2012.
2. Hanson, G.W. ―Fundamentals of Nanoelectronics‖. Pearson Education, 2009.
3. Rogers, B., Adams, J. & Pennathur, S. ―Nanotechnology: Understanding Small Systems‖. CRC Press, 2014.
|Subject Name||PHYSICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE|
For ph8252 important questions click here
Search In for PH8252 Syllabus:
Download PH8252 Syllabus PHYSICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE For free.
Anna University Regulation 2017 PHYSICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE Syllabus download pdf free.
Semester 2 Anna University Regulation 2017 Syllabus.
Syllabus for sem 2 Anna University Regulation 2017.