PH8201 SYLLABUS – PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING
PH8201 SYLLABUS PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING Regulation 2017 Anna University Semester 2
PH8201 Syllabus OBJECTIVE:
PH8201 To introduce the principles of thermal, acoustics, optics and new materials for civil engineering applications.
PH8201 syllabus UNIT I THERMAL PERFORMANCE OF BUILDINGS
Heat transfer through fenestrations, thermal insulation and its benefits. Heat gain and heat loss estimation – factors affecting the thermal performance of buildings.
Thermal measurements, thermal comfort, indices of thermal comfort, climate and design of solar radiation, shading devices Central heating. Principles of natural ventilation – ventilation measurements, design for natural
ventilation. Window types and packaged air conditioners – chilled water plant – fan coil systems – water piping – cooling load. Air conditioning systems for different types of buildings – Protection
against fire to be caused by A.C.Systems.
PH8201 syllabus UNIT II ACOUSTICS
Classification of sound- decibel- Weber–Fechner law – Sabine’s formula- derivation using growth and decay method. Absorption Coefficient and its determination –factors affecting acoustics of buildings and their remedies. Methods of sound absorptions – absorbing materials – noise and its measurements, sound insulation and its measurements, impact of noise in multi-storeyed buildings.
PH8201 syllabus UNIT III LIGHTING DESIGNS
Radiation quantitites – spectral quantities – relationship between luminescence and radiant quantities – hemispherical reflectance and transmittance – photometry: cosines law, inverse square law. Vision – photobic, mesophic, scotopic visions. Colour – luminous efficiency function – Visual field glare, colour – day light calculations – day light design of windows, measurement of day-light and use of models and artificial skies, principles of artificial lighting, supplementary artificial lighting.
PH8201 syllabus UNIT IV NEW ENGINEERING MATERIALS
Composites – definition and classification – Fibre reinforced plastics (FRP) and fiber reinforced metals (FRM). Metallic glasses – Shape memory alloys – Ceramics – Classification – Crystalline – Non Crystalline. Bonded ceramics, Manufacturing methods – Slip casting – Isostatic pressing – Gas pressure bonding. Properties – thermal, mechanical, electrical and chemical ceramic fibres – ferroelectric and ferromagnetic ceramics – High Aluminium ceramics.
PH8201 syllabus UNIT V HAZARDS
Seismology and Seismic waves – Earth quake ground motion – Basic concepts and estimation techniques – site effects. Probabilistic and deterministic Seismic hazard analysis. Cyclone and flood hazards – Fire hazards and fire protection, fire-proofing of materials, fire safety regulations and fire fighting equipment. Prevention and safety measures.
OUTCOMES of PH8201 syllabus
Upon completion of this course,
- To have knowledge on the thermal performance of buildings.
- The students will acquire knowledge on the acoustic properties of buildings.
- students will get knowledge on various lighting designs for buildings.
- To gain knowledge on the properties and performance of engineering materials.
- The students will understand the hazards of buildings.
TEXT BOOKS PH8201 syllabus
1. Alexander, D. “Natural disaster”, Springer (1993).
2. Budinski, K.G. & Budinski, M.K. “Engineering Materials Properties and Selection”, Prentice Hall, 2009.
3. Severns, W.H. & Fellows, J.R. “Air conditioning and refrigeration”, John Wiley and Sons, London, 1988.
4. Stevens, W.R., “Building Physics: Lighting: Seeing in the Artificial Environment, Pergaman Press, 2013.
REFERENCES PH8201 syllabus
1. Gaur R.K. and Gupta S.L., Engineering Physics. Dhanpat Rai publishers, 2012.
2. Reiter, L. “Earthquake hazard analysis – Issues and insights”, Columbia University Press, 1991.
3. Shearer, P.M. “Introduction to Seismology”, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
|Subject name||PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING|
|File details||Syllabus in PDF format is attached|
PH8201 Important Question Click Here
MA8251 Engineering Mathematics 2 Syllabus and notes click here
BE8251 Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering click here
GE8291 Environmental Science and Engineering syllabus click here
GE8292 Engineering Mechanics Syllabus and notes click here
GE8261 Engineering Practices Laboratory syllabus click here
CE8211 Computer Aided Building Drawing syllabus click here
Search for students:
- PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING syllabus Anna University free download.
- PH8201 anna university syllabus 2017 regulation.
- 1st year PH8201 syllabus for 2017 regulation.
- Anna university syllabus for PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING.
- Sem 2 PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING 2017 regulation.
- PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING syllabus R2017.
- Anna university PH8201 notes.
- Notes for PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING.
- Semester two PH8201 syllabus free.
- PHYSICS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING syllabus free pdf download.